Saturday, February 11, 2006

I'm a Christian by Maya Angelou

This poem found its way into my inbox today and I thought I would share it with you.

I'm A Christian

by Maya Angelou

When I say ... "I am a Christian,"
I'm not shouting "I'm clean livin'.
I'm whispering "I was lost,
Now I'm found and forgiven."

When I say ."I am a Christian,"
I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble,
And need CHRIST to be my guide.

When I say ... "I am a Christian,"
I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak,
And need HIS strength to carry on.

When I say ... "I am a Christian,"
I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed,
And need God to clean my mess.

When I say ... "I am a Christian,"
I'm not claiming to be perfect.
My flaws are far too visible,
But God believes I am worth it.

When I say ... "I am a Christian,"
I still feel the sting of pain.
I have my share of heartaches,
So I call upon His name.

When I say ... "I am a Christian,"
I'm not holier than thou.
I'm just a simple sinner
Who received God's good grace somehow.

11 Comments:

At 12:35 PM, Blogger gloria said...

The poem on your website, "When I Say I'm a Christian" was not written by Maya Angelou. It was written by Carol Wimmer. You can see the history of the poem on her website: www.carolwimmer.com

 
At 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THIS LADY THAT CLAIMS SHE WROTE THIS POEM IS A LIAR. SHE SHOULD BE SUED FOR PLAGARISM! IT WAS WRITTEN BY CAROL WIMMER IN 1988... THIS LADY JUST CHANGED A COUPLE OF WORDS AND SLAPPED HER NAME ON SOMEONE ELSE'S POEM. GOD WILL JUDGE HER FOR STEALING SOMEONE ELSE'S POEM!

 
At 6:19 AM, Anonymous barb bowen said...

unfortunately a lot of people are taking maya's photo and posting all kinds of things and saying she either supports these things or created these things, all of us using the net, before we pass judegement, should do some checking as i always do to see if indeed what is passed along is true. snoopes.com and urband ledgends are good sources.

 
At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

to anonymous above - Maya Angelou NEVER claimed to have written this poem - it was attributed to her by others on the internet and the false story grew from there. Check YOUR facts before calling someone else a liar!

 
At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

she did write it and any way even if she didnt write it she is such a inspairational person so dont start accusing her

 
At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

to first anonymous person just remeber GOD WILL JUDGE YOU TOO!!!!!
SO REMEBER YOUR PLACE AND CHECK YOUR ANGER.
Maya Angelou is an amazing person which you would know if you took the time to learn your own facts. Its not uncommon for well meaning and brilliant minded people to alternate works to convey a similar but personalized message.

 
At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

when was maya's poem written, cynthia.

 
At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes it is good to give credit to the real writer of the poem but since people can't tell who really wrote it give credit to both and just be glad that the poem was written. it's a good poem.

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maya Angelo did NOT write the poem and she has said as much. The poem was written by Carol Wimmer in 1988.

 
At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad is the conversation taking place here which obviously shows thecreasons for thevpoem being written. We all make mistakes in this life; none of us have reached perfection. I say let's focus on the meaning of thevpoem and let the original author handle the other issue.

 
At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My typos prove my imperfections! Lol Sorry:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home